Monday, June 8, 2009

Shrimp, Bacon, and the "O-face"...

Because this blog is about weight loss, which is directly related to food, and because I love food so much, I felt compelled to share with you an experience I had this weekend with a new found food favorite. What I ate was so damn good...it was practically orgasmic. "What, Jen, what?...do tell...what did you eat?" It was a gourmet shrimp taco from Rubio's - simple, yet one of the tastiest things I've had in recent months.

Here's the official description, taken from Rubio's menu: "Corn tortillas topped with toasted cheeses, habanero citrus salsa, grilled shrimp, crisp bacon, cilantro/onion, cotija cheese, creamy chipotle picante sauce and sliced avocado." Does that not sound delicious to you?

The best part was when I ordered. I told the girl behind the counter I wanted a shrimp taco, but one with avocados on then. She mentioned their gourmet tacos as having fresh avocado, then said "but they have little bits of bacon on them...if you like bacon". When she mentioned that, I do believe my mouth began to salivate. Then I thought: who DOESN'T like bacon? Bacon makes any & everything good. You could wrap a turd in bacon and I'll bet people would eat it. And to quote one of my favorite comedians, Jim Gaffigan: "Bacon bits are like the fairy dust of the food community." Indeed, Jim...indeed.

So I proceeded with my order, which included 3 other fish tacos. (They were free, one per person, I had my two kids with me, so why the hell not 3 fish tacos?) When I actually got my food, I couldn't believe how beautiful the shrimp taco actually was...all laid out on the plate in a scrumptous display. I squeezed some fresh lime over it, put a small dab of fresh salsa and chipotle, then dug in. Wow!! It was so good! And I think I even said that out loud... "Wow!..damn that's good!" My children, of course, looked at me like I was crazy. But I didn't care...I was enjoying myself so much that I immediately made plans in my head to go order another. And that I did!! And the second taco was just as yummy as the first. The fish tacos were very good too (I ate one), but the shrimp gourmet tacos were the best...hands down.

I loved these tacos so much that I told my husband about them when I went home (he got the remaining two fish tacos) and my friend Stef about them when I saw her on Sunday. And now I'm telling you. You MUST try them. Even if you don't like shrimp - try the chicken or portabello mushroom - just try them!...they have BACON on them!...what more do you need as incentive?

No comments:

Post a Comment